Apr 26, 2010

Jessicasprague.com Weekly Challenge - Hybrid!

This week at jessicasprague.com the weekly challenge is their first ever hybrid challenge. The challenge was to create something using iron-on transfers. All the examples shown were t-shirts and onsies, which I am definitely going to jump into. But I figured if I was going to try something new, I may as well go all the way. My daughter has been asking for a new backpack, as apparently there is a hole in her old one (though I have yet to SEE the hole). So we decided to make her a personalized tote bag instead. Here's what we came up with:

We were both super excited about the results, until I tried to "fix" the spot around the owl's right eye. Can you see it? The transfer didn't quite transfer all the way. Note to self: do not try to re-iron a transfer...it just won't work. So even though I took the photos early enough, Mr. Owl did not survive the day, and the tote now needs to be redone. I think I may make a grungy name plate to completely cover the old owl, and reprint him for the other side of the bag.

Regardless of the outcome of the owl and tote bag, I can't wait to get going on the onsie I have planned for my son. I'll post pics when I have it all done up. And next time, I think I'll START a new project with the simpler of two options rather than starting with the one that will cause the most challenge. But that's why they call it a challenge right? :)

Tote bag credits: Owl: Crystal Wilkerson's Happy Little Owls (jessicasprague.com). Word art: from Carnival kit from Sweet Shoppe Designs.

No comments:

Post a Comment